Monday, December 11, 2017

One Pan Chicken Parmesan




Chicken Parmesan is a family favorite and I have many fond memories of this classic Italian meal from my own childhood. I was taught to make this meal the traditional way with breading and although it is a VERY delicious way to experience this dish I decided to make a simplified version.  Instead of dredging the pounded thin chicken in a bowl of flour, egg and breadcrumbs, I seasoned the chicken and seared it in a nonstick pan. Using the same pan, I covered it in sauce,cheese and herbs and tossed the pan in the oven for 15 minutes.   With my toddler running around I have been taking some of our favorite meals and simplifying them to save on time and additional dishes. This dish was just as wonderful without having it breaded and fried before covering it in sauce and cheese. If you love Chicken Parmesan as much as we do, give this simplified version a whirl. My toddler went crazy for this meal and I served his dish with peas and spaghetti that I tossed in olive oil, herbs and some of the sauce from the bottom of the pan.



Ingredients- Serves 4

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt, pepper, garlic powder
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tomato sauce ( I used PC black label marinara sauce- it is all natural with no preservatives)
2 tbsp each basil and parsley- fresh or dried- I finely minced fresh
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella




Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  1. On a cutting board slice each chicken breast into 2 making 4 chicken fillets. If you prefer to save even more time you can purchase the chicken already sliced and pounded thin. It is more expensive but a great time saver. I usually make slice and pound my own. 
  2. In order for the chicken to sear evenly you need to gently pound it thin making sure it is the same thickness. If you do have a meat mallet simply cover the chicken with parchment and gently press the pan you are going to use over each breast until you achieve the results you are looking for.
  3. Heat a non-stick pan.
  4. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
  5. Add the olive oil to the pan and sear the chicken on the first side until a deep golden color. About 3  minutes. Turn the breast over to sear the other side. Once seared, remove from the heat and cover each breast with the tomato sauce, Parmesan, herbs and mozzarella. Make sure to cover the entire breast with sauce and there should be extra pooling in the pan. See picture.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbling and golden. 
  7. Serve with Caesar salad, spaghetti or any side dish you wish. 
  8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

-