Saturday, November 4, 2017

Spaghetti al Tonno



15 MINUTE MEAL!!!! Spaghetti al Tonno is one of my fastest weeknight recipes and although it takes so little time to make it packs AMAZING flavor you would think you were slaving in the kitchen for hours. This dish for me, is the Italian version of a tuna casserole. It was also one of my childhood weeknight meals and I have wonderful memories of my mother every time I make this family favorite. The secret to this incredible tuna pasta is .....wait for it.....ANCHOVIES.
These little fish packed so tightly in a tiny tin and covered in olive oil are the key to a fast, bold, briny, salty, delicious pasta. The anchovies amplify the pasta sauce without making it taste fishy. I LOVE anchovies in my Caesar salad dressing, on my pizza, and in my Spaghetti al Tonno. I use the entire tin of anchovies in my pasta sauce but if you are unsure if you like anchovies start by only adding two or three the first time you make this dish instead of the entire can. I hope that you enjoy this meal and add this spaghetti sauce into the dinner rotation in your home.


Ingredients
Serves 4

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tin of anchovies packed in olive oil
2 tsp capers
1 tsp chili flakes- optional
3 cloves of garlic- finely chopped or grated
1 can diced San Marzano tomatoes
1 can Italian tuna packed in olive oil
cracked black pepper
fresh parsley- chopped or torn for garnish
tbsp of salt - for the pasta water
500 grams of spaghetti- I combined black cuttlefish noodles and red pepper noodles (cooking times were the same)


Directions


1. Fill a large pot with water and turn the heat on high. While you wait for the water to boil you can make this very fast pasta sauce.
2. Using another burner, place a medium pot on the stove and set the temperature to medium high. Setting  5 or 6. Add the tin of anchovies with the oil they are packed in. Using a fork start mashing the anchovies in the oil and help them dissolve as the oil heats up. This takes about a minute.  It is very important to do this because you do not want big pieces of anchovies visible. 
3. Once the anchovies are dissolved in the oil they were packed in, add the extra virgin olive oil, capers, chilies and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes stirring often making sure the garlic does not burn. 
4. Add the San Marzano tomatoes, tuna with the oil it is packed in and cracked pepper to taste. Mix well.
5. Add a good tbsp of salt to the boiling water followed by Spaghetti. Follow package instructions for cooking time. I usually cook my pasta 1 minute less than the package time. It will continue to cook once I add the sauce to the pasta. 
6. When the pasta has 1 minute left remove one cup of the starchy pasta water and set aside. 
7. Drain the pasta and place back into the pot on with the burner still set to medium high heat. Add the sauce to the pasta pot with some of the reserved pasta water. Only add a little water at a time to assist in making the sauce come together with the pasta. 
8. Tear some fresh parley into the pot and mix until well combined. 
9. Serve and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AA


No comments:

Post a Comment

-